Diverse or the Inverse?

Kayla Ward and Alex Mckeithan

Here at West Brunswick, home of more than 1,400 students, diversity can play an essential role in making new friends.

As a freshman, you more than likely come from either Waccamaw, Shallotte or Cedar Grove. These middle school groups help diversity, but they can also hurt it. “When I got out of my comfort zone my freshman year, I met some amazing people I am glad to call my friends from another middle school,” said sophomore Jordyn Hill. Let’s stop the cliques and get out of our comfort zones. This might even help you find a new lifelong friend.

It is more critical now than ever to look at all of our similarities rather than our differences. What you do after high school is ultimately up to you. Someone else out there that have the same aspirations in life that you have.

Similarities help people understand that we are more alike than we think. There are so many people at West; some might not even know they have so much in common with someone else. As Maya Angelou said, “We are more alike my friends than we are unalike.”

Diversity gives people the confidence they need. This lets people show more of who they are in the community; making our society greater. “Society is unity in diversity,” said by George Herbert Mead.

Similarity Quiz by Kayla Ward