1st Place DECA Awards
1st Place DECA Awards

NC DECA Diamond

Mar 15, 2018

West Brunswick DECA students recently competed in the North Carolina State competition held in Greensboro, North Carolina. DECA is a business club which prepares students for careers in marketing, management, finance, hospitality, and entrepreneurship. DECA teaches real-life skills applicable in college and career.

At state competition, students competed in one or two role-plays, either individually or in a team event with a partner. Students were scored on their ability to communicate effectively with the judge, use creativity and problem-solving skills, and detail the key indicators specific to their event. Weeks prior to state competition, DECA students took a 100 question test related to their event category, which was included as half of competitor’s final scores along with the role plays.

The 2018 DECA state competition was one of the most successful years in West Brunswick’s recent history. Several students placed top overall scores in the test section, and overall, many students placed top 10 in their events and have the opportunity to advance to the international competition in Atlanta, Georgia in April of this year.

At state competition, winners included Madison Ward (1st place overall), the team of Griffin Brown and Spencer Beecher (2nd place overall), Kira Frawley and Olivia Irwin (2nd place overall), Lincoln Smith and Eli Steve (4th place overall), Maddie Cagle and Danielle Riffle (top 10 overall), and Olivia Fish and Ella King (top 10 overall).

DECA provides an opportunity to enhance public speaking skills, critical thinking skills, improve college readiness, and gain real-word skills. For questions about DECA or information on how to join, visit our DECA teachers: Mrs. Thompson, Mrs. Wagoner, or Mrs. Winfree. West Brunswick wishes the best of luck to our international competitors as students prepare for the most major competition and get ready for a great season next year.

The West Wind • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$100
$500