Drive Me Batty: Teachorial Disrespect

Cameron Southward, Lit Mag Curator

Teachorial Disrespect

Some teachers hate their job.

How could anyone hate shaping the minds of youth? How could anyone hate helping young minds find their way through this difficult and confusing world? How could anyone hate tapping into the creativity of the future? Simple answers to not-so-simple questions. (I hope you’re picking up on the sarcasm.)

Students everywhere have come to the batty conclusion that they are the ones in charge. They do whatever they want and talk to adults in whatever manner they want.

However, there is nothing wrong with defending yourself, no matter what type of authority your opponent has. But if a teacher is being completely reasonable and not asking a lot from you, then there is no reason to be an entitled brat.

Example: the teacher asks a student to put up their phone and get to work. The phone goes off and the teacher says to just turn the ringer off and get to work. Student gets such an unnecessary attitude for such a reasonable request. Teacher kicks the student out and the class cannot possibly fathom why.  

I was raised in such a way that you respect everyone until they give you a reason not to. So when I see someone acting like a holy terror and basically bullying a teacher, I am instantly brimming with rage. I am just baffled that some students think that it is okay to be so disrespectful to the person who controls your grade in the class. Granted, not everyone cares about grades but I just can’t wrap my head around it.

In life, you’re going to encounter undesirable people. You’re going to have a mean boss or a coworker that seems like the human embodiment of a bunion. But you’re not going to get anywhere if you can’t just suck it up and deal with it. As cheesy as it sounds, being the bigger person is the way to go.