The Mechanics Behind Robotics

Photo by Kahn Le
Gathering together working on a few kinks.
Photo by Kahn Le
Benicio and Gary are here to fix things up.
Photo by Kahn Le
Aryanna Huskey keeping things together.
Photo by Kahn Le
Getting set up for the competition.
Photo by Kahn Le
getting the groups gathered together.
Photo by Kahn Le
Showing off for the fans.
Photo by Kahn Le
getting a good look at the competition
Photo by Kahn Le
West Brunswick team showing off a smile.
Photo by Kahn Le
Looks like he needs a hand.

The Mechanics Behind Robotics

Robotics is a school club in which students work together and learn how to build devices and machines, including robots. This gives students a chance to understand how to use tools and comprehend more about the mathematics behind the science. There is a common misconception that robotics are only about building machines. Khanh Le, a sophomore in the club, agrees that there is a misconception.

“It is not only building,” said Le. “There is a lot more to it.”

This club has done more than just help these students understand robotics. It has turned this group of students into a family. Robotics Club has given many people an outlet to connect with people interested in the same things. Keri McKenzie, math teacher and adviser of the club, really enjoys working with the students.

“When I became the math coach for the district, I missed working with students, so this opportunity [to advise robotics] came up, and I decided to become a coach,” said McKenzie.

Most of the people in this class don’t even know how to use the tools properly. Robotics club is helpful for learning these things. McKenzie understands this and she does not seem to mind.

“Seeing the growth of the students over the years is a really big thing because they come in not really knowing anything at all,” said McKenzie.

For people who want to pursue a STEM career or just really love math and science, this club is a wonderful gateway into a math-filled future. Between the hands on robot-building and the learning of a “real world” math, Robotics truly is the perfect way to get started with your STEM future.