To E or Not To E?

Something new has come to WBHS this year.

The addition of E lunch helps the cafeteria staff do their job more effectively.

This year, we have a new addition to West Brunswick High, E Lunch. Principal Rhonda Benton told the West Wind that the fifth lunch was implemented due to the rising population of our school. She says that the fifth lunch creates a smaller group for each lunch, which makes the job of the cafeteria staff much easier. West’s cafeteria administrator, Tarmeco Murray, told Benton that the smaller lunches help the cafeteria staff get students through the lunch line faster, which gives students more time to eat and cafeteria staff more time to prepare for the next lunch.

The addition of the fifth lunch also had another major cause. Benton says that most incidents or situations that occurred last year began or occurred in the cafeteria. The smaller amount of students in the cafeteria along with more adult supervision during lunch helps to create a safer environment in the school. Benton says that the fifth lunch has been effective at achieving faster and safer lunches thus far.

WBHS lunches are very crowded and chaotic.

The students of WBHS have mixed opinions on the new E lunch. While many oppose the new lunch, there are some students that support it. Sophomore Angie Sellers opposes the lunch because she says it is too late in the day. 

“It takes forever to get to lunch,” Sellers says. “ And you’re, like, starving; and then your teachers won’t let you eat in class. So you’re, like, about to die before E lunch.”

Senior Peter Soucek also disagrees with the fifth lunch. “I don’t like it because I feel like it’s too short,” he says. “I feel like all the students need at least 30 minutes to have a proper lunch and socialize.”

Do you like the new lunch schedule?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

However, students like sophomore Mykayla Daniels see the good aspects of E lunch. “Even though it gives [students] less time,” she says, “you have more space in your lunch, so I like it.”

The addition of the fifth lunch has mixed opinions across campus. Although some students prefer the four lunch schedule of years past, the fifth lunch is necessary due to our campus’s growing population. Benton states that the fifth lunch has been successful in fulfilling the motives behind it. It creates a smaller amount of students in the cafeteria at one time, which helps the cafeteria staff to be more efficient and the lunch environment to be more safe. Some students may not be so happy about it, but overall, it is creating a positive change for West.