Clubs 411

Students participate in an initiation ceremony to become official members of Interact. Credit: Brooke Kesky

Art Club meets every Tuesday from 2:45-4:00 pm in the art room and plans on making our campus more beautiful this year by adding various forms of artwork around the school. Follow them on instagram @ wbhs_artclub and join today!

HOSA meets after school every other Wednesday in room 226. If you are interested in healthcare related activities and would like to showcase your talents at competition, then be sure and stop by HOSA.

Do you love to fish? Join the Bass Team in room 416 to learn about using your fishing skills to compete in tournaments to win money for college. The Bass Team meets every Wednesday, so grab your fishing rod and come join!

The Environmental Issues club meets every other Wednesday at 7:15 am in room 421 and has plans for a beach sweep and planting a bee garden at our school. If you have a passion for protecting the environment, then be sure to stop by and sign up.

SGA stands for student government association. The club helps with different activities around the school including prom and homecoming. At the end of the year you could be assigned an officer position for your class, including President or Vice President.

Government, Capitalism, Free Market…if this sounds like your type of club then join Turning Point USA. Meetings are the first and third Wednesday each month in room 526 and will be helping to register students to vote and inform others about our government.

Do you have an interest in carpentry? Join SkillsUSA in room 225 to learn more about this club that meets every Tuesday and plans to compete regionally in Fayetteville!

Join FFA to compete in agriculture based activities such as land and poultry judging and forestry. This club meets during the first week each month in Mrs. Richardson’s room and the local Farm Bureau even pays your dues for you!

JROTC has been around for 102 years and has prepared students for life beyond high school each of those years. This organization is not about taking students into the military, but plans to make them better students. If you’re interested in contributing to community service as a part of JROTC, speak to the JROTC instructors.

Do you enjoy taking photos? Be sure to speak to Mrs. Karwacki about Yearbook to learn more about photography and design!

Science Olympiad is a learning based competition that focuses on science and math. There is a competition each year usually in early March that contains events such as Anatomy and Physiology, Write It Do It, Forensics, and Hovercraft. If you want to learn new events and get your hands dirty building projects, then stop by room 421 every other tuesday for the meetings!

If you are interested in auditioning for show choir and perform for community and school events next year, then be sure to speak with Mrs. Harton.

The PBIS Student Committee focuses on how to make WBHS a positive environment. They decide on how to reward good behaving students of West Brunswick. The PBIS committee is still open for students to join; see Ms. Meyers in Guidance if you are interested.

Are you planning on going to college? AVID is a college readiness program that supplies skills to be successful on campus. AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination. The program focuses on college admissions and character building. If interested for next year see Ms. Meyers in Guidance.

Boys to Men is a mentoring program for boys of color without male role models. The meetings are every other Thursday from 2:30-4:00 pm in the media center. See Ms. Fullwood if you want to join.

Members of DECA stand in front of their poster to inform
new members about the club.
Credit: Deiona Stanley

Mother’s Touch is a club for any girl without a female role model. The girls will be able to talk to the mentors about any questions they might have that they can’t speak about with anyone else. See Ms. Fullwood if you want to join.

Interested in joining a business led organization? FBLA’s mission it to bring business and education together in a positive working relationship through an innovative leadership and career development program. FBLA will be having an upcoming interest meeting within a few weeks to restart this club here at West! Contact Mrs. Whitaker if interested.

ROCAME stands for Region O Council for the Advancement of Minorities in Engineering. The club practices activities that students will use in engineering fields. The meetings are on Tuesdays from 2:30 – 4:00. They compete at districts and regionals and they are planning on visiting A&T University, which is the best engineering school in North Carolina. See Ms. Evans if you are interested for next year.

DECA is a club that focuses on entrepreneurship, marketing and finances. Anyone who is interested in business as a career should join. Meetings are every other Wednesday. See Ms. Wagoner or Ms. Winfree if interested for next year.