The Student News Site of West Brunswick High School

The West Wind

The West Wind

The West Wind

Polls

Which is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Health Occupation Students of America in action throughout the nation

The+Health+Occupation+Students+Association+Team+Of+West+Brunswick+Lined+Up.+
Photo by Sheila Gerald
The Health Occupation Students Association Team Of West Brunswick Lined Up.

HOSA is an international club geared towards students who are interested in going into the medical field as a career after high school. HOSA is led by Sheila Gerald and Jenny Rohr and currently has twenty members.

• “I hope every one of those kids goes into the medical field,” said Gerald. “The world needs it.” 

Plans for the future: Project manager, Lorelei Earls, has always been interested in going into the medical field. 

• “I want to be a physician’s assistant,” said Earls. “I like that I’d get to work in different specialties, and I’d get to work in patient care.”

The history of HOSA: According to HOSA.org, HOSA was officially created at a Constitutional Convention held in Arlington, Texas, in November 1976.

• “I’ve been in HOSA for two years now and I really like it so far,” said Earls. “It’s hard work sometimes, but it’s definitely worth it.”

HOSA Competitions: HOSA competitions are comprised of multiple events with various different categories. This can include: team events, single events, and recognition events

• “Going into the tests no one really realizes how hard they are going to be,” said Gerald. “I always hope for the best when kids take them but they’re hard.”
  • “You definitely have to study for the tests, but you definitely learn more about yourself and your own behavioral health,” said Earls. 

HOSA’s Blood Drive:

HOSA has been hosting a blood drive at West Brunswick High since the 2022/2023 school year. 

• “As project manager, I got to organize the event,” said Earls. “I thought it was a great experience.” 

On the Horizon: The HOSA team is planning and preparing their trip to regionals in November, hopeful for what may happen.

• “Competitions are probably the most stressful part of the club,” said Earls. “Depending on how close we all are, it can be really fun traveling with everybody.”

Donate to The West Wind
$100
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of West Brunswick High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.