The Student News Site of West Brunswick High School

The West Wind

The West Wind

The West Wind

Polls

Which is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Why Key Club is more than a college application boost

Photo by Gracie Loft
West Key Club graphic designed by staff writer Gracie Loft

Club Goal: The Key Club is a vital way for students to get involved and contribute to their community.

• The club prepares students for useful citizenship in the future.

Valuable citizenship: The club provides its members with opportunities to build character, develop leadership, and perform services.

Club’s Impact: The club majorly does community service for others in need but it also has an impact on the students as well. 

“I love to see them [Key Club members] give of themselves, they turn around to say ‘I had so much fun, it didn’t even feel like work, it was a pleasure to do that.’ And that’s why I do it,” said Key Club advisor Cathie Poulin.

Why it matters: Key Club is usually seen as a way to bump up a student’s college application or resume but in reality, the club is so much more.

• The club influences and excites students to help others in their community. 
  • It isn’t a huge workload.

The club doesn’t revolve around coming to every meeting, instead encouraging students to do as much participation as they can.

“I joined Key Club because it’s just an amazing club and I was looking for people to join, for some friends,” said vice president Simon Matvey. “It’s really fun helping out people.”

• The club uses Christmas and other holiday celebrations to encourage students to get excited about helping their community.

What is Key Club about? “Key Club is about giving of yourself and benefiting because you gave somebody else a ‘happy,’” said Poulin. 

More students are joining Key Club as they learn that community service can be fun.

$100
$500