The Student News Site of West Brunswick High School

The West Wind

The West Wind

The West Wind

A Peek Into Book Club

Photo by Avery Babson
Book Club has their October meeting to go over September’s read.

We have an abundance of clubs for our student body to participate in and enjoy. Many of which are educational, some of which are competitive. If you seem to be looking everywhere for an easy-going club and community, book club could be exactly what you have in mind. 

“It’s really just a community, ” said Grace Watson.

“That is really just the most important part, so I think to anyone that’s thinking about joining book club, you should! We’re super fun, everyone is super nice, we all get along, it’s no drama, no gossiping, no meanness, it’s just really a good fun time to be had.”

Last school year book club was introduced into our list of clubs by teacher Jyll Jacoby-Burns. Jacoby-Burns had just caught word of South Brunswick’s book club when Watson originally presented the idea to her about forming a book club here at West. Watson’s goal in creating book club is to provide a space for the shy, quiet kids who need a place to reach out and become involved in the school. 

“You don’t have to be a huge reader,” said Watson.

“People come in and they may have only read part of it, haven’t started it, it wasn’t their thing, so they didn’t read it, some people wanted to but didn’t have time. Like I said before, it’s really just about community.”

Book Club has meetings on the first Monday of every month to get together and discuss the previous month’s book. While participation in conversation isn’t mandatory, it is heavily encouraged. After book discussion snacks are typically provided as the group decides the next month’s reading. Last school year the group read four books total plus two other books chosen for summer reading including: “Fahrenheit 451”, “The Southern Book Club’s Guide to Slaying Vampires”, “The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue”, “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo”, “The Happy Place”, and “The Glass Castle”. This year’s books are undecided, but the month of September’s current read is a memoir by Jennette McCurdy called: “I’m Glad my Mom Died”.

“Most of the decisions about the titles are based on student interest,” said Jacoby-Burns. “So who proposes a book they think sounds good, the only requirements are that it has to have literary and critical merit.” 

Members of the book club that I have spoken to only have had good things to say about their experiences. A recurring theme in everyone’s responses has been community. What it is they have built together and the connections they are creating with all book lovers alike.

“I joined book club because I really love to read,” said sophomore Chayton Cheers. “I was looking for something extra to do so I thought it would be perfect. I enjoy the community, you get them and they get you.”

With the beginning of the school year, book club has many books to be read. If you’ve fallen out of reading or even want to begin, book club has an open seat for you. 

“Join Book Club!” said Watson. “I’m not asking you, I’m telling you, okay, you need to join the club. It’s super fun. For some people they just need to get out their thoughts, and read a book because it’s just so exciting, and if you are one of those people, who just wants to come and make friends with people who also may be shy and just love to read, come. You’re not doing anything wrong and you lose nothing by just coming.” 

$100
$500