The Student News Site of West Brunswick High School

The West Wind

The West Wind

The West Wind

Polls

Which is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Spirit Week Vibes

This year for homecoming spirit week a greater number of people aren’t agreeing with the themes that have been made by SGA members within the Leadership class. The students who are in leadership decided to have “We got the beat,” as the main theme of the week and chose the spirit week days to be:

• Monday- “Thrift Shop,” wear your favorite thrifted outfit. Which means you can wear your best mix-matched outfit and look crazy. Wearing tacky clothes would be a great idea.
  • Tuesday- “You’ve Got a Friend in Me,” on this day you can either dress as your favorite toy or you can twin with one of your friends. You can dress as any toy you’d like, or do a matching duo with your bestie.
  • Wednesday- “Welcome to the Jungle,” this theme means that you can dress as your favorite jungle animal. Go all out with your favorite animal print.
  • Thursday- “Thriller.” Thriller Thursday was made for you to dress up in your Halloween costumes as long as they’re school-appropriate. This day gives students a chance to wear their costumes and have fun.
  • Friday- “Welcome to my House,” this is the day that you will wear your class color; Freshmen wear white, Sophomores will have on green, Juniors will be dressed in black, and Seniors will be wearing their togas. Wear as much as you can of your class color.

“I feel that spirit week is a good way to get the underclassmen involved in things we do,” said junior Macey Long. “It’s a great way for everyone to express themselves in different ways.” 

Long is a part of the leadership class and she and her other classmates worked hard on trying to get everything lined up for this year’s homecoming week. Along with preparing for spirit week, they have planned out the pep rally and all the activities that will be taking place that day. Long gave some advice on how she would advise dressing throughout the week.

“Since this is my last year in high school, I’m kind of disappointed that the spirit week this year wasn’t what I expected,” said senior Jazoryia Bell. “I wish we could have been able to vote on the overall theme of the week.”

A lot of people are disappointed in Spirit Week this year, wishing there was a way they could’ve been a part of the choice, especially the seniors. Bell claimed that she doesn’t think there was a lot of thought put into it and that it was kind of rushed. She said that she doesn’t really understand how people are supposed to dress as their favorite jungle animal on Wednesday. She claimed that she has talked to many of her friends and other people that surround her and they have all said that they won’t be participating in the themes because they don’t make sense, except for the class colors day. 

“I feel that the spirit weekdays could have been thought through better,” said junior Aubrey Brown. “Just the idea of an overall theme of the week makes it not as interesting.”

$100
$500