The Student News Site of West Brunswick High School

The West Wind

The West Wind

The West Wind

Polls

Which is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Super Bowl Review

The Swifties aka the Kansas City Chiefs, have won the 2023-2024 Super Bowl. The team finished 11-6 through the regular season, despite it being an “underwhelming” season for the team, Mahomes and the Chiefs got it done.

Record Breakers

This Super Bowl had the most average viewers ever with 123.7 million viewers. Last year’s average was 115.1 million viewers, so the Taylor Swift effect is real. Swift, who is dating NFL superstar Travis Kelce, contributed to a massive amount of viewership. Women totaled 47.5 percent of the total audience which is the most ever recorded. Another broken record happened on Super Bowl weekend, Chiefs Kicker Harrison Butker booted a 57-yard field goal which is the longest in Super Bowl history.

Usher’s Halftime Show

This halftime show included Usher, Alicia Keys, H.E.R., Ludacris, and Lil Jon. Usher performed some of his most popular songs, but most people were shocked Justin Beiber did not make a surprise appearance. With people seeing Beiber in Las Vegas, many thought Usher would bring him out to perform the well-known “Somebody To Love.” Usher allegedly directly asked Beiber to perform with him but it appears that did not happen. The halftime show was one of the best we are ever going to get to see and will be in the history books.

The Champs

Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs have done it again. The team has won its third Super Bowl in the last five years with Mahomes. Many thought the team wouldn’t make it far after having a “down year,” but you can never count Mahomes out in the playoffs. Mahomes in his 18 playoff games has 41 touchdown passes and 5,135 passing yards. Even with losing star Wide Receiver Tyreek Hill, the team has still won two Super Bowls without him. This shows how good coach Andy Reid is at calling unique plays for his team to win with the talent around him.

New Overtime Rules

Before the season kicked off, the league introduced a new overtime rule for the playoffs. Both teams receive one possession if the teams result in a tie at the end of regulation.

49ers

Going into the Super Bowl, the San Francisco 49ers were the Super Bowl favorites. Head Coach of the 49ers, Kyle Shanahan, thought the best idea was to kick the field goal during overtime which made many people shake their heads. Knowing the opposing team has Mahomes and Kelce, you never want to give them a chance to have the ball. So the Chiefs drove down the field and won with the new overtime rules.  Brock Purdy played a clean game with 255 passing yards and one touchdown.

$100
$500