The Student News Site of West Brunswick High School

The West Wind

The West Wind

The West Wind

3.14 Pi Day Math Competition

A look at the annual math competition that takes place at UNCW.
Harrison+Doherty%2C+Tucker+Hamilton%2C+Kyle+McCoy%2C+and+Hannah+Cumbee+are+all+ready+to+show+off+their+math+skills.+
Harrison Doherty, Tucker Hamilton, Kyle McCoy, and Hannah Cumbee are all ready to show off their math skills.

On Thursday March 14th, also known as Pi Day, a math competition was held at the University of North Carolina Wilmington. Eight students from West Brunswick participated in the event. Sophomore Kyle McCoy managed to place 9th out of the district one schools, and was the only student from West Brunswick to place. Unfortunately, Kyle was unable to receive his award in person because he left before the award ceremony began.

Upon arriving at UNCW, students had to sign in and then fill out information on their bubble sheets including their names, and their student code. After doing this, students had time to study before taking the test. The exam tested knowledge on algebra, geometry, statistics, and trigonometry.

During the competition, students had to take a thirty question test with an eighty minute time limit. Students used a bubble sheet to record their answers to each question. Answering a question correctly earned four points, answering incorrectly earned zero points, and leaving an answer blank gained one point. A practice test was sent out a few weeks beforehand by math teacher Cathie Poulin so students could study and be prepared for what was to come.

After the test was complete, some students were feeling hopeful and confident in their answers, while others felt as though they barely knew a thing. However, no matter how they were feeling, each student answered the questions to the best of their abilities, and that’s what really mattered in the end. Upon exiting the testing building, students could then go to lunch at the campus dining hall, or roam around campus until they had to reconvene for the award ceremony. Although only a few students placed, everyone was still proud of their abilities, and the effort they put into the test.

$100
$500