Kara Cheers and Cecelia Vergara celebrate following a Trojan goal. (Photo by Kristy Poulus Gunther)
Kara Cheers and Cecelia Vergara celebrate following a Trojan goal.

Photo by Kristy Poulus Gunther

The Trojan Round-Up

9 April 2019

Apr 10, 2019

Varsity Baseball

The Varsity Men’s Baseball team took on the New Hanover Wildcats at home the final score of the game was 0-14. The Trojans had 4 hits throughout 7 innings against the 2018 state champions but were unable to make it to home plate. Three Trojans took the mound last night; Shane Ferris, TJ Scinto, and Shawn Smith.

The Wildcats scored 2 runs in the 1st inning and 4 in the 2nd inning. The Trojans kept them scoreless for the 3rd and 4th inning but were unable to score themselves. The Wildcats scored once in the 5th inning and seven times in the 6th inning the game was run-ruled in the 7th bring the Trojans record to 8-7 overall. The Varsity Baseball team will be back in action at Topsail High School on April 11th.

Varsity Softball

The Lady Trojans varsity softball team took on the Wildcats at home the final score of the game was 12-1. The Lady Trojans were off to a quick start scoring 7 times in the 1st inning. The Lady Wildcats scored only once. The Trojans scored 4 more times in the 2nd inning. The Wildcats were unable to respond. The 3rd inning was scoreless. The Trojans scored once more in the 4th inning and the game was run-ruled in the 5th inning after the Wildcats failed to score.

Eight Lady Trojans scored in the five-inning game. Senior 3rd baseman Katelyn Fulford, freshman infielder Zoe Evans, junior 1st baseman Hailey Wilson, and sophomore 1st baseman and pitcher Gracie Griffin each scored two runs apiece. The Lady Trojans overall record has now improved to 9-2, the team will play again at home against St. James at 6:00 pm on April 10th.

Varsity Women’s Soccer

The Lady Trojans Varsity Women’s Soccer team took on the Wildcats on their home turf but were unable to turn the get ahead the final score was 0-2. The Trojans were unable to score in the 1st and 2nd half of the game while the Wildcats had 2 goals scored by Joanie Richardson, who also had an assist, and Hannah Brigham, the goal was assisted by Mary Archer Boyd. The Trojans had one shot on goal during the game by freshman forward Valerie Cruz. The Trojans junior goalkeeper Joi Sturdivant had 26 saves in the 80-minute game.

Senior midfielder and captain Greer Josselyn, unfortunately, was injured during the game. Josselyn broke her collarbone on the field and will be out for the rest of the season.

The Lady Trojans will be back in action at Topsail High School on April 11th.

Varsity Men’s Lacrosse

The Varsity Men’s Lacrosse team took on the Wildcats at Legion Stadium on April 9th. The Trojans were unable to gain equal footing after a high scoring 1st quarter from the Wildcats the score was 8-21 at the end of regulation time. The Wildcats had 5 goals each from Gage Tanner and Kyle Hatcher, 4 each from John Murray and Smith Anderson, 2 from Josiah Shaw and 1 from Jack Dedrick.

The Trojans had 2 goals each from senior attacker Braxton Powell and senior midfielder Hunter Dotson, the Trojans also had 4 other scorers.  The Trojans tallied 36 groundballs throughout the game and 6 penalties. The Trojans split time between 2 goalkeepers; junior starter and captain, Will Pickard had 21 saves and 14 goals against, freshman backup, Kyle Wagner entered the game during the second half and tallied 8 saves while allowing 8 goals.

Varsity Women’s Lacrosse

The Varsity Women’s lacrosse team took a bus ride to play the New Hanover Wildcats at Legion stadium. The final score was 14-1. The Wildcats scored once in the first half of the game, but they could not make a  comeback during the game. The Lady Trojans scored 6 goals in the 1st half and 8 goals in the 2nd half.

Four Trojans contributed points to the win; junior midfielder and captain, Cecelia Vergara tallied 6 goals and 5 assists, senior midfielder and captain, Kara Cheers racked up 3 left-handed goals to score a hat trick and 3 assists, sophomore attacker, Elizabeth Norfleet scored 4 goals in only 5 shots on goal, senior attacker Chloe Lach scored 1 goal off of a sidearm free-position. The Trojans tallied  49 ground balls throughout the game, sophomore midfielder Nikki Waterbury had a team-high of 7 ground balls, sophomore Maya Lindsey also had 6 ground balls. Senior goalkeeper and captain, Moe Brown saved 11 shots and allowed 1 goal in the game. The Trojans will be back in action on April 11th.

The team would like to dedicate their win to their junior defender, Payton Crosby.

The West Wind • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$100
$500