Online Learning So Far and Looking Forward

Emely Olmedo, Staff Writer

When school first shut down due to the pandemic, students were all forced to start emergency remote learning, which turned into planned remote learning in the fall. A first time experience for many students and teachers, it seems to have been a rough transition for everyone. While for others, it may have been a breeze since they find it easier to focus in their own space and enjoy being at home. It’s fair to say that every student has a different experience with online learning. 

“Online learning has been horrible for my learning, and I have nothing positive to say about it,” said sophomore Olivia Price. “I have a hard time focusing and I’m struggling to keep up with all my work.”

Brunswick County has given students many opportunities for success, some old and some new. One, for example, is that on student’s report cards, a teacher is required to change a failing grade to at least a 50 for the first quarter of each semester to give students an opportunity for redemption and a path to pass if they make necessary changes the second quarter. Not only that but on Wednesdays when we have our asynchronous day, students and teachers get to catch up and complete our work at our own pace. This opportunity is very helpful and less stressful for everyone. 

Having WIFI access can be a difficulty for some students at home, but Brunswick County has provided free internet access to students to help with their online learning if needed. Along with that, students who were in need of a computer were allowed to pick up a school Chromebook to keep with them to use for the school year. 

“Online learning is easier because you get to do the work when you want basically, and it helps you manage time,” said senior Ethan Hewett. 

Given the opportunity to attend A day and B days in person throughout the week, we know the staff, administration, and those in charge at higher levels are doing their best to keep students still learning to their best ability. Every student has a different opinion about remote learning, whether they enjoy it or dislike it. Some students may have even done it (an online class) before, so it’s nothing new to them. Whatever we may think, we have to accept that this is our reality now and we can only hope for things to go back to how they were pre-Covid.

“I hope that we (staff and students) take this opportunity to reflect on who we are and what we need as learners,” said Anna Saunders, English Teacher. “I think when we one day transition back to a more traditional schedule, we can take our new strategies and approaches to build upon our practices pre-Covid.”