Parenting Your Siblings

Photo by Danielle Moody

Senior Kyndel Johnson and her little sister Kaitlynn pose together on the sidelines.

Noah Farris, Staff Writer

High school students have so much pressure day to day. Students have to get up early and get ready to sit in a classroom for hours with very few breaks between. When we add things like athletics, clubs, jobs, social life, and more, the pressure only increases. It’s already hard enough to balance all of that for ourselves, but for some students they have to balance all of this for their siblings as well. It is their responsibility to be a friend, a caretaker, a role model, and much more for their younger siblings. 

Senior JJ Cobb, on top of being a multisport athlete, does a lot for his younger siblings. At times it’s his responsibility to, “take care of them, make sure they’re doing the right thing inside and outside of school.” 

Being a role model is on the top of our lists as older siblings. It’s our job to teach them and be a positive influence in their lives. For some students, taking care of our siblings is bigger than being that positive influence.

“I have to make sure my little brother has his homework done,” said sophomore Bryanna Dickens. “Make sure he eats, he’s going to bed on time, and he has everything ready for tomorrow.”

These added responsibilities can take up a lot of time that some students need to be able to spend at practice or on homework, which forces students to carefully manage their already busy schedules.

Dickens is a multisport athlete and a member of the school’s show choir and theater. With very little time already, she has to leave plenty for taking care of her brother, sharing that “it takes up 50% of my time.”

Part of this responsibility comes with having to put their needs above our own, which sometimes means missing out on things like “hanging out with friends,” says Cobb. Cobb makes it clear that while he misses out on some trademark ‘teen activities,’ he doesn’t mind putting his siblings first “because they are more important.”

This experience isn’t exclusive, so many students take on a lot of responsibility when it comes to their siblings. For some, it’s as simple as driving them around or buying a meal or two. For others, it could be planning everything we do around our siblings. 

“If I ever have to plan something, I always have to think of my little brother before I plan it,”  said Dickens. 

With so much responsibility, it’s easy to get overwhelmed and stressed out. Students have to learn how to take care of their siblings along with taking care of themselves.

Regardless of how difficult and overwhelming it can be, Senior Kyndel Johnson said “it’s worth it because I want them to have stuff I never had” 

That’s all any of us really want. For our loved ones to be cared for and supported.  We play a big part in making that happen for them.

“You’re spending time with them you may never get back,” said Johnson. “You never know what may happen in life.”