5 Ways to Stop Procrastinating During Online School

As a result of schoolwork being online it is easy to put off assignments and quickly fall behind. Here are 5 tips on how to help you stop procrastinating.

Lauren Nelson, Staff Writer

1. Have a Set Workspace
    Whether it be trying to focus a Zoom call or complete the assignments that seem to never end, it is crucial to your success to have a set workspace. Since school is online this year, it is tempting to just log on to your class from the comfort of your bed, but doing this could tell your brain that it is not time to work. Instead, try getting up and sitting at a desk or table. By doing this, I think you will find yourself to be much more productive.
  2. Create a Schedule
    Having the freedom of choosing when to complete an assignment comes with a price. As we all know, many students are struggling with turning in their work on time. An easy fix to this is to set out a specific block of time to work on school. With most assignments due at 11:59 pm, it is easy to tell yourself you can just get it done later, but that may not ever happen. Instead, set a specific time in the day, the earlier the better, to knock out your assignments, so then you have the rest of the day to do as you please.
  3. Focus on One Task at a Time
    When looking at your To-Do List, you can quickly get overwhelmed with the amount of work you have to do and decide to put it off even longer. To try and help yourself not get overwhelmed and stressed, set small, achievable goals. By doing this, you allow yourself to focus on one thing at a time and not have your mindset on the bigger picture. When doing one task at a time, it will quickly add up, and you will be done before you know it.
  4. Eliminate Distractions
    When participating in online school at home, it is easy to get distracted by everything around you, whether it be your phone, household chores, or siblings. It is essential to academic success to try and eliminate distractions. To not draw out assignments and complete them quickly, put your phone away and try to get into the right head space and physical space where you can focus on the task at hand.
  5. Just Do It
    Lastly, just do the work. Not being at school five days a week has made it easy to not do what we are supposed to do and put off assignments. To learn as much as you can and make good grades, it would be in your best interest to just get it done. You may not want to do it, but you are going to have to do it eventually so you may as well get it done as soon as possible.