Carter Wyatt in the Spotlight

Braxton Howard, Staff Writer

Senior Carter Wyatt, a four-year varsity football player, signed to play at Duke University this summer; this dream-come-true was a long time coming.

Wyatt was introduced to football at a very young age, watching it on TV with his dad and grandfather in Cincinnati when he was 3 and playing starting at age 4. 

“I tried to play early at the age three but they wouldn’t let me,” said Wyatt. “Honestly just growing up in Cincinnati watching the Bengals probably inspired me the most. My dad played high school football, my uncle played football, and mom’s brother played at Arkansas, so it’s just kind of in my family. It was something I felt like I had to do, and I ‘ve always had a passion for it.”

Receiving 20 offers to play at the college level, Wyatt ultimately chose Duke because he thinks it’s the best place for him athletically and academically. Wyatt also liked that it’s only a few hours away from his house, so he can still visit his family.

“Duke had great academics and a great football coach,” said Wyatt. “I feel like I will be set up for life.¨ 

If Wyatt continues his football career after college, he would want to go into the NFL and play for the Cincinnati Bengals because of his hometown connection but said the opportunity to play with any team would be a blessing.

“Of course it’s everybody’s dream, so I’m gonna work hard to accomplish that,” said Wyatt. “I feel like that’s everybody’s dream as a kid, and I feel like that’s something that can happen if you put your mind to it and work harder than everybody.”

Wyatt wants to get a business degree from Duke and eventually go into commercial real estate, and try to expand his brand in real estate.