The Student News Site of West Brunswick High School

The West Wind

The West Wind

The West Wind

Polls

Which is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

How To Make Friends

High school is something everyone has to go through, and it can often be very challenging. Stressful classes, early class times, homework, etc. result in many students feeling overwhelmed. One thing, however, that can make high school significantly more enjoyable is finding friends. It’s a strong life skill to know ways to make friends, why friendships are important, as well as things to look for in a friend.

In the often messy world of high school, it can be crucial to have close friends or a friend group you can spend time with. Whether you’re just having fun to make time go by, asking for advice, helping your friends, etc. friendships are often what makes school go by faster while also being able to offer, and receive, support with whatever you may need. 

“Not having friends is lonely […] having friends makes it a lot more fun and interesting in high school, and if you need help, you’ve got somebody there,” said senior Aiden Hefferman. 

Lauren Foster agrees, stating that it’s important for high school students to “have a support group–high school is scary!” 

While having a support group helps to not feel as lonely, another advantage is simply “to keep you sane,” said senior Jaelah Stanley.

When making friends, envisioning what you may want in a friend is a great place to start: is it loyalty, honesty, humor, convenience or something else? Remember friendships won’t always come to you: you may have to help start them yourself. 

“If you’re in class sitting next to someone, you almost feel like you’re forced to talk to them because they’re right there,” said Hefferman. “Assigned seats can be helpful; oftentimes teachers try to not put you with your friends, so you have to learn new names and new faces.”

Oftentimes, making friends in high school can feel overwhelming or stressful. Stanley commented on this, stating the hardest part of the social aspect of high school is “Anxiety…Even though we’re at school and it happens, we’re always wondering; ‘what if he’s talking about me?’ or ‘what if she’s talking about me?’”

Being a new student can be significantly more challenging, having to start from scratch in terms of friends. 

“In high school, you have students who have grown up together, so you know they’re already friends,” said Foster.

Friendship goes both ways, however, and while they are there for you, you also need to be there for them. This means empathy, something that many teens are still developing as their brains continue developing and they navigate adolescence, is key to being a good friend. 

“I look at my friends’ love language and I adapt to it,” said Stanley. “I have friends whose love language is gift giving, so I get them food.” 

While making friends can be challenging, for many, joining a friend group or forming a close friendship with someone can be a rewarding and worthwhile experience.

Donate to The West Wind
$100
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of West Brunswick High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.