The Student News Site of West Brunswick High School

The West Wind

The West Wind

The West Wind

Polls

Which is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Good Omens: The Best Show to Come Out This Summer

Photo by Amazon Prime Originals
Aziraphale and Crowley In The Bookshop Good Omens Promotional Material Amazon Original

“Good Omens” is a beautifully written show well-known for its controversy, sense of humor, and huge cast of characters. While there have been many popular shows as of late, the creator of “Good Omens,” Neil Gaiman, has set an excellent example of world-building and comedy for future works.

“Good Omens” is based on a satirical book wondering what the structures of heaven and hell could be in modern-day society. Written by Neil Gaiman and the now-deceased Terry Pratchett, the novel was released in 1990. Making “Good Omens” into a show had been a dream of Pratchett’s, and Gaiman, being one of his closest friends, decided to respect that wish.

There are many recurring characters important to the plot of the first season, to name the most important; Archangel Gabriel, the Duke of Hell Beelzebub, the Antichrist Adam Young and his friends, Anathema the occultist, and Newt, who’s just a guy who’s awful with technology.

Gabriel and Beelzebub are trying to bring armageddon to full potential and have the final war between heaven and hell while pretty much everyone else is making a desperate attempt to stop it, or at least postpone it.

“It only took me two episodes to get invested,” said junior Ben Strattman. “The mystery of how heaven and hell interact was amazing, and that was displayed the most through Aziraphale and Crowley’s cautious dynamic.”

Even if the side characters are amazing, “Good Omens” mainly revolves around two characters, one who is an angel, Aziraphale played by Michael Sheen, and the other who is a demon, Crowley played by David Tennant. They have both existed since the beginning of time and have a recurring romantic dynamic of “will-they-won’t-they” that keeps the watcher on their toes and engaged with their story as thousands of years play out.

The second season of “Good Omens” was every bit of the gentle and romantic break that Neil Gaiman promised. However, the season finale was an exception to that rule. Many fans were shocked by the finale, with some even saying that it felt rushed or unfinished.

“I feel like there’s more to it,” said sophomore River Miller. “They just kinda split their ways and neither of them got to say what they wanted to say.”

Neil Gaiman later confirmed fan suspicions that the story felt incomplete saying that not only was season two just a bridge to season three, but that season three will have a much larger and even more dramatic plot than even season one. Due to the writer’s strike, Gaiman will not be writing for season three until the strike is finished as he is not willing to budge on the writer’s strike until they get paid.

“It’s planned and plotted and if there wasn’t a Writers’ Strike on, I’d be writing it right now,” said Gaiman. “Ways to help make Good Omens Season 3 happen are A) watch Season 2, B) get people who know nothing of Good Omens to start watching S1, and C) encourage the studios to negotiate with WGA.”

$100
$500