The Student News Site of West Brunswick High School

The West Wind

The West Wind

The West Wind

Polls

Which is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

How to: Be a Kid Again

How to: Be a Kid Again

We all get nostalgic every once in a while. It could be a candle that smells like your childhood home, a toy from the attic that you haven’t played with in years, or a cake that tastes the same way your grandma used to make it. 

Those feelings are always fleeting. Wishing for them to return and feel like a kid again is something that many people long for. Now, it is obviously impossible to become a kid again, but this is how to bring out your inner child. 

• Be honest- this one may seem odd, but when we were children we were mostly honest with people. We didn’t lie to people to make them feel good, nor to ourselves. We were honest with people and it makes us feel lighter and not held down by so many fibs. Occasionally we may have fibbed about losing a toy or taking candy but those little lies are nothing in comparison to lying to yourself.

• Senses- comb back through your memories and hold on to every smell, touch, taste, and sound of things. Don’t let yourself forget those peaceful, innocent memories from your childhood. Recall the excitement you felt hearing the ice-cream truck get closer to your house. Remember to play mermaids with your friends at the pool. Also, remember to do those things again. Get ice cream, swim in the pool, play games, and have fun.  In life, you are not meant to accomplish nothing. You are meant to live.

• Carefree- I know that getting older is part of life. It can be a good thing, being aware of the world around you, but it can also be crushing. All the little things that used to make you excited now may feel mundane. So, try to step back and breathe. Life can be difficult, people tied down with jobs, relationships, and other human worries, but it’s important to breathe. Take a vacation, or a day off. Even a couple minutes to yourself can benefit you in the best way possible. Don’t worry about the world, go away, it will always be there when you get back.

Live life to the fullest. As an adult you can be independent, find your passions and hobbies, and have experience and maturity. As a child you are more carefree, playful, and find joy in small things. So be both! Let your inner child shine, and be the best version of yourself now.

Donate to The West Wind
$100
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of West Brunswick High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.