The Student News Site of West Brunswick High School

The West Wind

The West Wind

The West Wind

Polls

Which is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Overseas Conflict: A Basic Rundown of Current Foreign Issues and Their History

Photo by Fleur Kelly
Grace Kitchen at a school computer checking the shocking recent news.

Hundreds of conflicts between countries are happening around the world every day, and it’s often hard to keep up with the civil wars, genocides, and shocking news that are ever prevalent and worthy of attention. 

Palestine’s genocide has been getting some of the most coverage in the news lately, even the UN invoking Article 99 for a ceasefire, but this is the first time that the public has looked into Israel’s actions in decades.

Why does it matter? Palestine has been under violent occupation by Israel for over 50 years, and despite many countries’ displeasure, a permanent solution has never been found. Thankfully, Palestinian content creators have been bringing awareness to war crimes in Gaza, pushing the public to learn more about Palestine and its history.

• The main populations in the land of Palestine were Muslims and Christians until Britain gave the land to early Zionists and founded Israel in the wake of WWII.
  • Israel funded Hamas to go against another political party (using the divide and rule strategy to separate the Palestinian people), removing their support once Israel felt Hamas had become a threat.
  • Israel has been closing in on Palestine since 1948 and is an occupying state
  • Over 16,500 civilian Palestinians dead and 1,300 Israeli IDF soldiers dead in most recent conflict starting on October 7, 2023
  • Israeli-Palestinian Conflict | Global Conflict Tracker
  • The Nakba did not start or end in 1948 | Features | Al Jazeera

The Democratic Republic of Congo has been in the crossfire of many wars and has been used for many different countries’ benefits. Even the U.S. had mines in the DRC until they were deemed unprofitable and sold to China. 

Why does it matter? The safety of the employees who work in the Chinese mines is not taken into account at all; there are no gloves or respiratory protection. Congolese people are being forced to work in grueling conditions and to inhale deadly cobalt dust.

Sudan has been in the middle of civil wars for over 50 years, even if the most recent war has only lasted for a year, this is not the first time that Sudan has been caught in a civil war born from a government collapse.

Why does it matter? Sudan has been struggling with war, displacement and government crisis since 2003 and, despite repeated attempts by the UN to help politically and economically, the wars seem to have no end in sight.

Yemen is yet another country in a civil war started by its internal government. The Presidential Leadership Council led by Rashad al-Alimi and the Supreme Political Council led by Mahdi al-Mashat are the two powers fighting over Yemen since 2014. But eventually, Yemen’s civil war evolved into a proxy war in April 2022.

Why does it matter? To have a war go on for that long with no support from other countries and minimal support from the UN is unacceptable, and for the U.S. to take advantage of the vulnerability in Yemen is cruel.

• Civil war started in 2014 due to Shiite rebels forcing negotiations for a better government and lower fuel prices
  • After failed negotiations and the exile of the rebel leader, Iran militarized Yemeni waters
  • Iran’s involvement started a proxy war between Iran and the U.S., with Iran using Yemen and the U.S. using Saudi Arabia
  • 21.6 million people injured and needing aid, 11 million of which are children, and over 4.5 million Yemenis displaced
  • U.S. has carried out four hundred bomb strikes in Yemen
  • All sides of the conflict have committed war crimes against the people of Yemen
  • War in Yemen | Global Conflict Tracker
  • World Report 2023: Yemen | Human Rights Watch
$100
$500