The Student News Site of West Brunswick High School

The West Wind

The West Wind

The West Wind

Polls

Which is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

How-To Seek Help

Student+distressed+about+an+event%2C+currently+happening+in+their+life.+
Photo by Courtney Weston
Student distressed about an event, currently happening in their life.

Over the course of time, seeking and getting help has moved on from a taboo subject into something that can be brought up into casual conversation for some people. Personally, getting help was something that I needed to do but it took a while to get the courage to tell someone I needed it. I have been attending therapy constantly for the last year and it has helped me improve myself. But for some people they can’t ever get the courage to seek the help they need. Here are some steps you should take when trying to seek help. 

• Recognizing that you need help

Realizing you need help is one of the most important things you could do when you begin seeking help. It’s always hard coming to terms with the fact that you need help, no matter how big of a deal it actually is, it’s a big deal to you and that’s all that matters. 

• Journaling

Journaling is a great way to release your feelings about a topic that you might not be that open to talking about with a person. Journaling is a great release for me and many others, there are some times where I cannot say but can write. 

• Find someone you trust  

For me I am lucky enough to have a village that loves me and cares about my well being, but a lot of the time people don’t always have that. Now, finding someone you trust isn’t always an easy process, especially in high school, teenagers can be rude and backstabbing. So, I suggest finding an adult to speak to. This could be a teacher, family friend, counselor, or family member. 

• Seeing a Therapist 

By seeing a therapist there are tons of advantages. It is a great resource for you to release your feelings and get beneficial feedback. Grief, mental disorders and trauma are just some of the things you can go to therapy for. When attending therapy it is important to remember that they are there to help and you need to be open about what you are going through, they are professionals and may be able to provide you with better ways to cope.

• Using Hotlines 

Using hotlines should be the last option you choose, but they are beneficial. But this is just a temporary fix, hotlines don’t have the resources for a permanent fix. I would just suggest using this in the event of an emergency. 

What works for someone else might not work for you but it is important to try everything and do what’s best for you. It’s going to take some time and a little trial and error, but help is out there if you are willing to look for it.

$100
$500