The Student News Site of West Brunswick High School

The West Wind

The West Wind

The West Wind

Polls

Which is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Looking Back

Students look back in the past and reflect on what they’d tell their younger selves if they had the chance.
Photo by Destiny Noblitt
MaryJane Sigafoose looking back into mirror, but also back on her younger self.

Growing up, especially in your later years in high school, you start to realize how much you miss being a little kid; you wish you could go back and tell yourself some of the things you know now. Whether it be not to mess with that boy or pay attention in science class we all have little things we wish we could tell ourselves. I know for me, I wish I could go back and tell myself to stop thinking of what others want and focus on me and my future, what will lead me to succeed. 

“I would tell myself not to worry about what others think about you,” said senior Sophia Rozen. “Just do your own thing at your own pace.”

Being in high school, or really any point in your life, you can feel pressured, whether it’s being the best in class, on your sports team, or looking good. The truth is you’re never gonna be perfect, and none of the people around you will be. Perfect simply isn’t something we humans achieve. While you still want to be the best at your sport, be on top of it in class, or nail the presentation at work, you don’t have to compare yourself to others to achieve the best you; if anything, it’ll just slow you down to get to your true potential.

“Don’t listen to what anyone says,” said sophomore Erin Cameron. “At the end of the day it’s not gonna matter because after this, you’ll never see these people again.”

High school isn’t forever; enjoy it while you can because one day you will miss it: the nervousness on your first day freshman year and the excitement after the 2:40 bell rings, Friday night football games, and watching your best friend cheer from the side, to nailing that math test you’ve stressed about for two weeks, rushing to your third period to see that cute boy in class, and messing around in the hallways with your best friends between classes but one day it does come to an end. We go into the world, and we meet new people. You won’t wake up every morning wondering why he said this and that and why this girl in high school did not like you. If someone says something that you don’t like, don’t let it keep you up at night because when you’re in your thirties, maybe even twenties, at your big dream job–writing, saving lives, racing, or performing–you’re not gonna be worried about Stacy from high school.

“Make sure to communicate within relationships, and be honest with yourself and others,” said junior Sydney Beliveau. “Trust your gut and talk it out. Make sure you have no regrets.” 

While you don’t want to worry too much about what others think and feel about you, cherish your relationships, whether it’s your mom, teachers, or friends. It’s often said and not implemented, but communication really is essential. Don’t ignore a small problem just because it seems big now. The critical thing to remember is to be kind and be true to yourself and others. 

“Spend as much time with your family and friends regardless of whats going on in the world,” said Sophia Rozen. “Go out and have fun, especially with your friends; you dont know how long you’ll have them.”

Donate to The West Wind
$100
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of West Brunswick High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.