The Student News Site of West Brunswick High School

The West Wind

The West Wind

The West Wind

Polls

Which is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Book V.S. Movie Adaptation

Photo by Gracie Loft
Book V.S. Movie graphic designed by staff writer Gracie Loft

Most people could argue whether they appreciate a book or its inspired movie more. Inspired films can make or break a book series’ fan base, depending on how the producers take up the challenge.  

While most book fans look forward to finally viewing memorable scenes from their favorite book, that scene ending up on the big screen might not always be the case. Most people agree that they wish movie producers wouldn’t change the original story as much as they usually do. 

A good question is why they do it. If the adaptation came from a long or complicated book series, parts would have to be cut out to keep the audience engaged. Most books include scenes that might not be possible in a filming environment or are too complicated for screen adaptation.

“I understand they have to because to make it into a movie it can’t be like 20 hours long,” said English and creative writing teacher, Amanda Crouch.  “But it’s always disappointing when you’re looking forward to a part that never shows up.”

Most authors who produce their books into movies/shows usually make sure to change small parts of the story. The author has grown along with how they would write their material; they would want to keep it relevant for the newer audience. The author of The Summer I Turned Pretty, Jenny Han, expressed that she wanted to update parts of the story because she would have written it quite differently today than how she did in 2009. 

More than likely a movie adaptation that sticks closer to the original plot will get higher ratings. For example, based on audience ratings most agree that their favorite book-to-movie adaptation is The Hunger Games, they like that the movies stayed true to the books but also changed small parts that weren’t needed as much or as influential to the plot. However, some fans agree that they would have liked to see certain missing characters from the books. Many people have the same experience when reading a book, the reader feels like they are encapsulated and a part of a different world. 

“I prefer the book,” said A.P. Language and English teacher Jacoby-Burns. “I can experience it with the characters, at my own pace, and I picture everything and feel like I’m there.”

Some people prefer movies to books and when asked why, most of their responses are usually something akin to “because I’d rather watch it than have to read it.”

“I like movies more than books because it gives me a better visual of what is happening in a scene,” said sophomore, Karley Boyd.

From a book, a reader can get an interactive or imaginative experience from their own mind, but the movie might not achieve those same goals and effects. Not everyone has the same experience when reading, so when a film is adapted from a book series, directors can construct their own versions of characters, storylines, settings, etc., which might not fit every reader’s vision.

Donate to The West Wind
$100
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of West Brunswick High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.