The Student News Site of West Brunswick High School

The West Wind

The West Wind

The West Wind

Polls

Which is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

SPILL UR GUTS!

Olivia Rodrigo’s new album “GUTS” debuted September 8th, making it her sophomore album. Rodrigo’s new album has taken down charts with the album at number one on the “Billboard 200” and the lead single “Vampire” reaching number one on the “Billboard Hot 100,” making it her third number one hit, joining “Drivers License” and “good 4 u” from her debut album “SOUR”.

The album cover from Olivia Rodrigo Second Album GUTS. Production Label: Geffen Records and Interscope Records.

GUTS has twelve tracks with four bonus tracks that can only be found on the vinyl records. The tracks include songs like “vampire”, “bad idea right”, “get him back” and more “vampire,” the lead single of the album and most popular; it’s about a person using you and then taking everything from you: “The way you sold me for parts As you sunk your teeth into me.” Then with the second single “bad idea right?” The song paints a story about getting back with your ex, if you should or shouldn’t. “Yes, I know that he’s my ex, but can’t two people reconnect?…Seein’ you tonight, it’s a bad idea, right?” as Rodrigo explains in her song. Then we have “get him back!” which talks about a double standard with wanting your ex back but you also want to seek revenge. “I want to break his heart but, be the one to stitch it up.” Then we have fan favorites such as “the grudge.” This song deals with losing a friend and which Rodrigo talks about when she is losing a friend.

Poll of SOUR or GUTS. From the West Brunswick Students.

Every fan has a favorite–and Olivia’s West Brunswick fans are no exception. Asking the West Brunswick fans which album do the prefer “GUTS” or “SOUR”. So we took a poll alot of the students had things to say. “I love her new album alot I like her new song “the grudge” and I like “GUTS” more than “SOUR” said sophomore Teagan Cossey.  We were going up students and asking them the majority came out to “SOUR” because most of the students still prefer her old music of how it brings them the good feeling when they hear her old music because of the time it was made. Fans have also found that “SOUR” and “GUTS” are very similar with songs. For example “jealousy,jealousy” from SOUR and “lacy” from GUTS deal with the same topics about how you wish you could be that person because you think they have a better lifestyle. So Rodrigo is going to a new era but she still has some of her old ways with her. Rodrigo has very punk filled songs with from SOUR we have “good 4 u” and “brutal” and are very similar to “all-american b***h” and “ballad of a homeschooled girl.” They all give a very 90’s theme and sound to the songs which Rodrigo was aiming for.

The alternate album cover (Target Exclusive) from Olivia Rodrigo Second Album GUTS. Production Label: Geffen Records and Interscope Records.

Fans have been waiting so patiently for the release of her new music because it’s been over two years since Rodrigo has put any new music out. Rodrigo is aiming high with her career she has already broken records and has had one of the best starts to her music career. Coming from a disney start to now an outselling artist with her tour on the way there is so much more we can expect. Rodrigo bringing her vintage classic style to her music brought everything to GUTS it gave it more. Shows how creative and talented she really is bringing out her inner child. She really has improved giving it her all to the game. Dominating charts and racking up trophies and West can’t wait to see what’s next.

Donate to The West Wind
$100
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of West Brunswick High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.