The Student News Site of West Brunswick High School

The West Wind

The West Wind

The West Wind

Polls

Which is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Cruelties in the Democratic Republic of Congo

Photo by Fleur Kelly
    An article detailing the inhumane employment policies in the DRC’s mines.

Buying and using our electronics is a part of our daily lives and something we do without a thought of what anything inside of them comes from, so where do we get one of the most important materials from?

Cobalt is most commonly made into lithium batteries, and these batteries are used in almost every battery-powered electronic device, from our phones and computers to our electric cars. Some cobalt is even made into superalloys which are highly resistant to high temperatures and are used for jet engines.

Unfortunately, the mines that most companies get their cobalt from are supported by modern-day slavery in the Democratic Republic of Congo. There are now over 7 million Congolese people displaced and forced to work in the mines in grueling conditions.

Cobalt is a toxic material to touch and breathe and the men and children who work in these mines have only a pickaxe and a shovel to mine and transport the minerals. It is estimated that these workers’ average daily income is 7.65 USD. These people are slowly killing themselves for the powers of the world so that we can have our phones.

Congo is one of the richest countries in the world in terms of raw materials. There are cobalt, diamonds, oil, gold, and many other untapped minerals that have been exploited by many countries. China owns the most mines in Congo and countries all over the world buy from these unethical companies. The suffering and displacement of the Congolese people has been deemed profitable by the powers of the world and so it will continue for as long as they get away with it.

When problems like these arise, it’s easy to feel hopeless and like we can’t do anything. We’ve seen the power of numbers many times before. Educating yourself and deconstructing the propaganda you’ve been fed is an important part of the process, and so is donating to humanitarian organizations, but even if you can’t, that’s okay. You can raise awareness by posting online or calling your local representative. Spreading awareness and information from trustworthy sources is the best way you can help because, eventually, the information will reach someone who can help.

But at the end of the day, you should do your research on topics like these and encourage your family and friends to do the same because sometimes, especially when you’re young, that’s all you can do.

$100
    $500