The Student News Site of West Brunswick High School

The West Wind

The West Wind

The West Wind

Polls

Which is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Teen Sleep

Sleep deprivation in teens.
Teen+Sleep

Sleep deprivation, it’s like a contagious disease, stealing our energy, focus, and joy. It’s a silent epidemic speeding across our bodies, making us feel like we’re all out of energy. But how can exhaustion cause so many issues? How does sleep deprivation have such a major impact on the actions we make in our lives?

“I think the most important thing is a good night’s sleep,” said American History teacher James Caraway. “Young adults need about eight hours of sleep, but without the right amount of sleep they need, it really holds them back from performing.”

Lectures are extremely common when it comes to any conversation on sleep. How sleep can be the main difference between if you do good or bad on a test. Once you realize how great an impact sleep has on your performance in not only school but your life in general, you’ll take your sleep schedule more seriously.

“Sleep is extremely important,” said junior Kelsey Swain. “Especially since we have to get up super early every day of the week just to come to school. It just has such an impact on the way you go about your day.”

Being a student is already challenging enough, balancing your schedules, keeping your grades up, and staying on top of your work. With all challenges students have to juggle already, if you add being sleep deprived, it makes it twice as difficult.

“I have to wake up every morning at 5:30 to be at school at 7:30,” said Swain. “If I’m tired and I come to school tired, I’m never able to focus on my work or participate effectively in any assignment I have.”

Teaching already comes with its obstacles, but it becomes more of a challenge when the students are not focused. In fact, usually if you walk into a class it is likely to see at least one student with their head down asleep.

“The lack of sleep at home makes them sleep in class,” said Caraway. “It really holds them back from performing in class. When one of my students is tired it’s pretty obvious to me because their performance in class is not very good.”

Sleep deprivation can significantly impact our health, mood, and cognitive abilities. It is vital for you to prioritize rest and maintain a healthy sleep schedule for overall well-being. Lack of sleep can lead to slowed thinking, worsened memory, poor or risky decision making, lack of energy, mood swings, etc.

“I don’t think people really see the difference between their performance when they do get enough sleep and when they don’t,” said junior Tyqaun Greene. “I came to school really tired multiple times, I missed so many assignments when I came to school sleep deprived. The way I act and talk to people when I’m tired isn’t good either when I’m tired.”

Although sleep deprivation is a problem spread around, there are many solutions to this ongoing problem that is being spread throughout kids around the world. There are suggestions that are given to help you sleep better and have an easier time falling asleep.

“Sleep deprivation has gotten way worse through the years of me teaching,” said Caraway. “I think the best ways to get enough sleep is scheduling a daily bedtime and wake up time and making that your daily routine. Go to bed at nine and wake up at five. [..] Stop eating an hour before they go to bed. Don’t take showers before you go to bed. Start trying to wind down a while before you go lay down. And go to bed at a regular time every day.”

As a teenager, you may feel as though having a healthy sleep schedule and actually getting sleep does not have a huge impact on your performance on a day to day basis, you’d be surprised how sleep can improve how you go about your day.

“I think especially with young kids now, sleep is so much more important,” said Caraway. “It’ll help with not only your academic performance, but it also helps with your physical performance. Your body will thank you for that.”

$100
$500