The Student News Site of West Brunswick High School

The West Wind

The West Wind

The West Wind

Polls

Which is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

3 Things to know about honors leadership

After a successful pilot class in Fall 2022, the honors leadership class is now offered both semesters. The course started as just an idea from the mind of one of our English teachers, Anna Saunders. The class is offered to students who feel they could make a difference in the school community. It doesn’t require a certain GPA or anything like that, just creativity, a willingness to serve, and ideas for change. 

“Over my career, I’ve been inspired by student leaders, student voice, and really amplifying that,” said Saunders. “The West Wind really sparked my interest in it because I really saw just how capable students are if you get out of the way and give them the opportunity.”

The former SGA director had taken a year-long break with only teaching the West Wind when she realized that she could do more. She still had a passion for creating student leaders that she didn’t feel was being fulfilled. She wanted to build student leaders beyond the West Wind. 

The first thing you should know about honors leadership is that this is different from your traditional class. This class is about stepping out of your comfort zone and working with others to combine different ideas and perspectives from which everyone in our school can benefit. Being in this class means that your individuality is respected, but your collaborative skills are constantly being tested. 

“One of the units is understanding ourselves as leaders. We take different assessments to find out our strengths and personality types, and then we write a paper about that so it (does have) those traditional English aspects. But we also do some video creation…and you create a resume.” said Saunders. “But then we dot some fun things too that are a little less traditional, like we make posters and banners for the student section (and) go and do fieldwork on Wednesdays where you go into the school community, and then you help somebody whether it’s your coach, your advisor or another staff member.” 

Another essential thing to know about the leadership course is that it’s not just an in-school commitment. There will be some days where you’ll visit an elementary school and read to kindergartners and first graders or go to a middle school and have lunch with some of the kids and answer some of their questions about high school and be a good role model for them.

“We had a volleyball alumni game and we were able to read to elementary schools.” said Saunders. “This year we’re gonna be working with some of our EC classes to do adaptive PE. We’re gonna go to middle schools and do some lunches.”

The final and most significant part about this class is that you’re responsible for being a voice for other students in the school. You’re given opportunities to be heard and even debate with administrative figures about what could improve the school for everyone.

“If they’re interested in having a voice at the school we get the ear of administrators several times.” said Saunders. “You connect with people who are leaders all over the community… If you’re willing to work hard and you care about your school community then it’s for you.”

Donate to The West Wind
    $100
    $500
    Contributed
    Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of West Brunswick High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.