What WB is saying about the squatted truck ban

Bella Little, Staff Writer

This summer, Governor Roy Cooper signed House Bill 692, making many squatted trucks illegal starting December 1, 2021, specifically targeting the popular “Carolina Squat.” On that date, if your front fender is four or more inches taller than the height of the rear fender, you would be in violation of state requirements. One glance in the student lots, and a passerby would recognize this as a hot-topic among students here. 

Some convey that this adjustment is “hazardous” since the driver’s view of the road is restricted. The tilted modification can affect the headlights, which do not point to the road, and the vehicle’s ability to brake, dangerous for both the driver and others they share the road with. 

“The trucks that are squatted too low tend to cause the people driving past them to say that they can’t see their light because it is not pointed at the road,” said freshman Zach Daley. “With the oil system in the back, it messes the truck up and altogether it serves as a ‘threat’ to the community.”

Others believe squatted trucks do not cause any harm and this bill is biased against a trend that many young people enjoy, disagreeing with the ban.

“It doesn’t really look the best to me,” said junior Davis Doherty. “But, I do not believe that they should ban it unless it’s hurting something, which I don’t think it is.” 

Overall, our community has mixed feelings about this hot topic; to keep the safety and well-being of our state, the governor did what he thought was necessary. Whether you agree or disagree, this law takes effect soon.