Euphoria Season 2 Hot Takes

Euphoria Season 2 Hot Takes

Reyde Jones, Staff Writer

Season one of Euphoria left fans reeling and begging for more. Their wishes were quickly answered, since producers are always looking for more ways to make money. Though there were many shocks this season, there are a couple that stood out above the others. Warning: spoilers to come.

Couples

Nate and Cassie attending Lexi’s play

Season 2 brought some of the biggest shocks in Euphoria history. Despite Nate and Maddy’s relationship status at the end of the first season, things are looking up for them, and we even begin to think they could get back together. Then, stumbling in like a withdrawing addict enters Cassie Howard. 

Cassie is the complete opposite of Maddy, which is exactly what Nate likes about her. She’s submissive and obedient, allowing him to mold her into his perfect girlfriend. Cassie becomes obsessed with being the perfect girl for him, waking up early in the morning to get ready even though he doesn’t spare her a second glance until she dresses like Maddy. Nate loves Maddy, or maybe just the idea of her. In his eyes, Cassie is Maddy 2.0: the girlfriend he can dress up like a doll and control, the perfect girlfriend.

Lexi and Fez meeting at a Party

This season, we got a deeper look into the life of Lexi Howard and her love life. Though she was just a supporting character in season one, she was promoted to a main character in season two with her own storyline. Two people from completely different worlds, more different than similar, but could not be more perfect for each other–that is the best way one could possibly describe Fezco and Lexi.

Lexi is an innocent high school girl, and Fez is a dropout drug dealer. Seriously, what could they have to talk about? That’s the beauty of it, Lexi talks and Fez listens while giving her advice. Lexi’s normally the one listening to everyone elses problems, this is a breath of fresh air for her. She finally has someone that actually cares about what’s happening in her life, someone that sees her and not just Cassie Howard’s little sister. Their relationship isn’t quite done developing by the end of the season, but I’m confident we’ll see more of them in the next season.

Lexi’s Play

The audience cheering for Lexi’s play.

Throughout the season, we see Lexi writing and planning her play but see no details until the second to last episode. The main purpose of this play is to comically represent how it felt for Lexi to live in her sister’s shadow. Always feeling uglier, less popular, and just overall inferior, Lexi manages to unpack all of her childhood trauma into one big dramedy including musical numbers. This play angers some characters, such as Nate and Cassie, though most thought it was a hilarious masterpiece. Cassie, in fact, gets so angry that she interrupts the play to bash and embarrass her sister. Everything works out in the end, since Lexi recovers from the embarrassment and continues the show. 

**SPOILERS AHEAD**

Ashtray’s Death

Ash’s last moment

During the entire season, we all knew someone was going to die. Writers like to keep fans in check by leaving them wondering if it would be their favorite character next. Most people assumed that it would be Fez or Ashtray, just because of their dangerous activities. Turns out, people were right. Coincidentally, Ashtray dies in the final episode, well without warning. 

Though Ash had few lines and scenes, he was a beloved character whose death hit hard to fans. He was shown as Fez’s adoptive younger brother whom the former is extremely protective over. Fez is so protective, in fact, that he is willing to throw his life away and go to prison just to protect his little brother. Sadly, these efforts were in vain, as Ash dies trying to protect Fez. Viewers were left on a cliffhanger that surely will be addressed next season, leaving fans in a frenzy. 

So, what questions are we left in a frenzy over?

• Is Fez alive? In Jail?
  • What will Cassie do next?
  • Will Nate embrace his sexuality?