The West Wind

Lights in Calabash

Izzy James-Hutson, Assistant editor

The annual Calabash Tree Lighting was a spectacular display of holiday spirit, with each year the lighting getting better and better. This year the lighting was held on December 1st, and started at 6:00 p.m. The lighting included: a parade featuring local businesses, a Brunswick county native–Allie McDowell–as this year’s vocalist, kindergarten dancers from Dance Connection, Jessie Mae Monroe Elementary’s children’s choir, a candle ceremony, a kids station, hot chocolate and cookies, and even Santa Clause himself accompanied by Mrs. Clause.

“I had a lot of fun with my friends and the people who were there. My favorite part had to be Braxton getting up on stage. It was just a good time and it has grown a lot since a couple of years ago.” said Greer Josselyn, who was in the crowd at the event.

This event is coordinated by Dr. Ernie Ward along with Laura Ward. West’s very own Madison and Taylor Ward also helped in the coordination of them event. Taylor Ward was helped by Cole Hutchinson, another West student, in running sound for the music and entertainment. Many other West students also participated in the lighting and parade.

Key Club was a big element in helping the event be fun for the children. Key Club, as they do every year, ran the “kids booth,” which is a section that allows kids to make “reindeer food,” Santa beards with cotton balls and paper plates, and write letters to Santa. Also if kids included their addresses on the letters to Santa and put it in the mailbox, Santa sent a reply back! Key Club also helped in the lighting of the candles that were passed out to everyone in attendance. Key Club’s Braxton Powell also helped in going on stage with Allie McDowell and spreading the word about the trend on social media, #calabashchristmas.

“This is our fourth year participating in this event and every year it gets better and better” said Cathie Poulin, Key Club adviser, “I love that I get to just step back, and see the members run this on their own. They encourage children to participate, they help here and there, and it just amazes me to see the club be so involved in this beautiful event”.

West’s dance team was also in the parade, led by Kate Williamson. They performed to a holiday classic, “All I Want for Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey.

Santa’s little helpers were also students from West. Ni Sanchez, Haley Reed, Jennifer Argo, Ryan Conhick, and Blake Purham are all freshman that dressed up as elves for the event. They helped pass out candles and stood on stage with Santa.

“We look forward to the growing involvement of the WBHS students every year” said Laura Ward, “It’s a great way for students to gain experience and service their community.”

About the Writer
Izzy James-Hutson, Assistant Editor

Isabelle James-Hutson, also known as Izzy, is an assistant editor of The West Wind at West Brunswick High School. She is a junior at West, and this year...

• Lights in Calabash

News

A Stormy Semester

• Lights in Calabash

News

School Shootings: An Epidemic

• Lights in Calabash

News

Halfway There

• Lights in Calabash

News

Questions Remain for US Troops in Niger

• News

Growing Tensions Between America and North Korea

• Lights in Calabash

News

When Music and Terror Collide

• Lights in Calabash

News

Not So Natural Disasters

• Lights in Calabash

Galleries and Video

National Signing Day

• Lights in Calabash

Galleries and Video

Swim Season Begins

• Lights in Calabash

Galleries and Video

WBHS Senior Night Pep Rally 2K18

The Student News Site of West Brunswick High School
Lights in Calabash