Men’s Lacrosse Season Preview

Brandon Aycock

Photo by Brianna Mokma

A relatively new addition to the West Brunswick sporting association is the men’s varsity lacrosse team. With the team’s losing season of 1-14 last year, they hoped to make great improvements in team ethics and work effort. The entire team has come together to work towards a single goal of winning the conference and make a strong run in playoff games.

Many new players have already shown more dedication to the sport than last season’s team. First year players have made a strong impact on the by pushing previous players to get better in order to keep their starting positions.

Freshman starters on a high school varsity team is out of the norm, but a few devoted players have made it on the starting squad. Junior Braxton Powell has helped be a team leader to the new freshman, which has increased their skill and the team’s all around capability.

“For the lacrosse season, we do workouts, a lot of sprints for conditioning, and this season we’ve had a lot of freshmen come to these workouts and as a team we’re in much better shape,” said Powell. “Our scrimmage we had last weekend, the team won both games at 8-3 and 5-2; our freshman killed it out there”

Junior Brennan Mokma has high hopes for the season and believes they have great potential in the conference.

“I take it extremely serious,” asserted Mokma. “This is my life now. My strengths are all around offense and defense, my weaknesses are none.”

With the extreme devotion to the sport, this team could make an epic turn around from last season and take the conference by storm.