New Dance Room is “en Pointe”

Photo by Karen Bonifacio

The new dance room!

Katelyn Lewis, Karen Bonifacio, Staff Writers

That click of the door as it’s pushed open, the smell of paint covered walls, these are things that we all recognize on the first day of school, but this year the student body was met with an unfamiliar sight. A new and improved dance room, an extended weight room and an almost completely renovated 200 hall.

The dance room is one of the numerous changes to the campus this school year. The administration decided the dance team should have their own room, along with the wrestling team. With the addition of the new rooms, our dance team and wrestling team no longer have to practice in the same room. The new dance room has freshly painted walls, new mirrors and brand new flooring. 

Michael Stanley, one of the assistant principals at West, was one of the administrators who was involved with the dance room expansion. 

“We were using the weight room and the dance room at the combination, we figured the dance room students needed more of an area to call their own and not deal with the aroma of the wrestling guys being there also, so we wanted Mrs. Pittman to have a place to call their own space,” said Stanley. 

The new flooring helps assist the girls in performing their turns and dance routines. However, the width and length ratio of the new space is causing difficulties with some of the dancer’s training. 

“I like it mostly because we now have our own space and the floors are really nice,” said senior, Rylee Cooper. “The dance room is really long and not so much wide so that would be the one thing I would change about it.”

Although the changes to the area have pleased many people, there are still some suggestions to possible new readjustments. Amanda Pittman, the dance teacher, reveals what she would like to see happen next in the dance room. 

“I would like to exchange the eye washing station for a water fountain; sound paneling would be nice because there’s an echo in here when the music is playing or when I’m teaching, and we’re hoping to get some cubbies to store the dancer’s property while they dance,” said Pittman. “We are excited about the new space, and it is growing on us.”

The dancers are preparing for their upcoming recital at Odell Williamson Auditorium, this will be the first showcase for the dancers since they received their new practice room.

“Our expectation is that the girls will like it and it would enhance their abilities and we look forward to their performance during our athletic activities,” said Stanley.