Time to Roll Out the Mats

Izzy James-Hutson, Assistant Editor

It’s that time of year again, when the mats are rolled out and the singlets are put on. That’s right, it’s time to wrestle.

Coach Caraway had an interesting outlook on the season; “It [the season] could be god awful or it could go outstanding,  and we can reach all our goals that we set for this team, for these group of seniors”.

Some goals Caraway outlined for the season are to win 30 matches, win all home matches, have at least one shut out, win the conference, win the region, and win the states. Caraway also has goals for individuals: seven state placers and at least two state champions, specifically citing Jacary Bethel as a contender for a state title.

Caraway also has a lot to say about his seniors as the backbone of the team.

“Jacary Bethel, Lincoln Smith, Gavin Bipes, Brandon Reisen, all seniors. Jeremiah Daley, and William ‘John’ Britt, basically our seniors. This is a senior team, we should be dominating,” Caraway says. “These are guys I’ve known since they were in eighth grade, and here they are seniors now, and they should all have dreams and aspirations. What’s going to make it really special is to see those dreams come true, that’s what I’m really hoping for.”

Caraway is excited for the upcoming season, even if the team still has room to improve.

“We wanna have fun, and winning is fun. So you gotta do what you can do to win wrestling matches,” said Caraway.

“I think we have a great puzzle, but all the pieces of the puzzle need to come together  for that picture to to be what we want, and we are missing some pieces of the puzzle right now and if we could just get those pieces in, if we could find those pieces, we can do what we set out to do.”

See our wrestling Trojans in action:

• Tuesday Nov. 21, Quad Match, Weigh in at 4pm West Brunswick HS 5:00PM
  • Wednesday Nov. 29 Ashley High School (Weigh In at 5:30pm) West Brunswick HS 6:30PM
  • Saturday Dec. 02 OPEN DATE (Caleb Hawkins Invitational Wrestling Tournament Weigh in at 8am) West Brunswick HS 9:00AM
  • Wednesday Dec. 06 Tri-Match with Socastee and South Brunswick Weigh in at 4pm West Brunswick HS 5:00PM
  • Saturday Dec. 09 @ Lumberton High School  (Lumberton Duals) Lumberton High School 8:00AM
  • Wednesday Dec. 13 @ John T Hoggard High School (Weigh In at 5:30pm) John T Hoggard High School 6:30PM
  • Saturday Dec. 16 @ St. James High School (St. James Shark Duals) St. James High School 8:00AM
  • Tuesday Dec. 19 Tri-Match with Topsail and Carolina Forest Weigh In at 4:00pm West Brunswick HS 5:00PM
  • Friday Dec. 22 @ Chapel Hill High School (Chapel Hill Tiger)Chapel Hill High School 4:00PM
  • Saturday Dec. 23 @ Chapel Hill High School (Chapel Hill Tiger) Chapel Hill High School 8:00AM
  • Wednesday Jan. 03 New Hanover High School (Weigh In at 5:30pm) West Brunswick HS 6:30PM
  • Saturday Jan. 06 @ Athens Drive High School (Athens Drive Duals) Athens Drive High School 8:00AM
  • Tuesday Jan. 09 @ Emsley A Laney High School(Weigh In at 5:30pm) Emsley A Laney High School 6:30PM
  • Friday Jan. 12 @ Jack Britt High School (Jack Britt Tournament) Jack Britt High School 4:00PM
  • Saturday Jan. 13 @ Jack Britt High School (Jack Britt Tournament) Jack Britt High School 8:00AM
  • Saturday Jan. 20 @ St. Pauls High School (St. Pauls Tournament) St. Pauls High School 8:00AM
  • Wednesday Jan. 24 Tri-Match with North Myrtle Beach and North Brunswick Senior Night                                   Weigh In at 4pm West Brunswick HS 5:00PM
  • Saturday Jan. 27 @ Conference Tournament at Laney Conference Tournament at Laney 8:00AM

2017-2018 Varsity Wrestling (1)