The Student News Site of West Brunswick High School

The West Wind

The West Wind

The West Wind

Polls

Which is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Journey to Flying

my journey to learning to fly
    Photo by Marissa Sellers
    Marissa beside Plane after first flight lesson

Flying has always been what I wanted to do; I have been telling people I’m going to be a pilot since I was seven years old. Back then, people thought it was cute and that it was just a dream, and so did I, but now it’s becoming a reality I get to achieve every day. 

I somewhat grew up around planes because my grandpa is a retired pilot and my aunt is a current one, so flying has always been an interest of mine, but the more I watched my family talk about flying the more I wanted to become a pilot. 

Almost a year ago, I took my first flight lesson with my grandpa in a Cessna-170, and from that moment on, flying has been my main focus. I love the feeling of being in the air and seeing above the clouds: it makes me feel like I’m in a whole new universe. I love the feeling of taking off and touching back down again. everything about being on a plane is crazy to me.

For my fifteenth birthday, I flew to Osh-Kosh, Wisconsin for the biggest fly-in of the year, in that week I was up there I figured out so much about my future, I figured out where I wanted to go to college, which airline I wanted to fly for, and what I was going to spend my life doing. I met some girls up there who made me realize everything I struggled with when flying is completely normal, and I’m not the only girl doing this. 

My goal for the next few years is to complete my first solo, get my private pilot license, and get a college scholarship. Everything is just getting started, so I only have 8 hours of flight time so far, but my goal is to get up to sixty hours by the time I’m 16 or so, to be able to get my private license, I’m having to go out of state for college to go to an aeronautical school so I’m nervous just being far away from home and all my friends. 

I’m so beyond grateful for all the opportunities I’ve had to be able to accomplish my dreams between my grandpa who is giving me flight lessons and went with me to Wisconsin for my birthday and my parents who are so supportive and drive back and forth for my flight lessons. I’m so lucky to be able to start all of this, especially at such a young age.

$100
    $500