The Student News Site of West Brunswick High School

The West Wind

The West Wind

The West Wind

Polls

Which is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

How To Play PickleBall

Pickleball has been around since 1965 but has recently become popular over the past year. Typically, pickleball is played by older people, but kids have recently been fascinated by this sport. Learning to play pickleball is easy, but getting better at the sport takes time.

Rules:
When serving, serve underhanded, below the waist, and into the opposite side of the court. Your foot can not cross the line, otherwise, you give up the serve. The ball must land diagonally in front of you but can land on the outer lines except the kitchen line.
The ball must bounce on the serve and the receiving hit. After the ball has bounced once on each side, the ball can now be hit in the air.
You cannot go into the kitchen unless the ball has been hit into the kitchen and has bounced.
Scoring:
The match goes to 11 points and you must win by two.
You can only score points for your team if your team serves the ball.
Once you score, you must switch boxes with your teammate. That teammate will continue to serve till they mess up.
Before each serve, the player serving must say their score, the opposing score, and what player they are. For example 7-5-2. This means you have 7 points, the other team has 5 points, and you are player 2.
Only one player gets to serve in the first round of the match. Once that side messes up, the serve goes to the opposing side.
Each player must serve until they lose the point.

“It took me about three or four times to learn the rules,” said Sydney Sauls. “My least favorite rule is how you have to serve the ball across the court instead of in front of you, and something I always forget is to stay out of the kitchen unless the ball is hit there,”

There are many rules involved with pickleball. Learning all of them and applying them throughout the game can be difficult the first few times. Sticking with it, learning, and picking up new rules along the way is important. Everyone starts somewhere and you can’t get better without trying.

$100
$500