The Student News Site of West Brunswick High School

The West Wind

The West Wind

The West Wind

Polls

Which is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Christmas Traditions: The Shallotte Christmas Parade

A look into the annual Christmas Parade that brings us together as a community to celebrate the upcoming holiday season.
Photo by Jennifer Caison
Brunswick School of Dance poses as they await the start of the Shallotte Christmas Parade

Traditions are a way that we embrace the holiday spirit and connect with one another on an emotional and physical level. Businesses and community members alike all gather up and down Main Street, Shallotte to celebrate the upcoming holiday season with the annual Shallotte Christmas parade.

“It’s a huge community event,” said Chellie McDowell. “It is a tradition for a lot of families in this area as well. I can remember going as a little girl, it was like a show coming down the street. It’s definitely special and memorable, especially when you see all the floats, that’s what really catches everyone’s eyes.”

Coming together, groups from West Brunswick, such as JROTC, band, and dance team, share love and joy to the community through this festive event. These three groups have been chosen to be part of something bigger. Not only do they bring the community happiness and positivity, they represent the heart of our Trojan Pride.

“For the most part, I think everyone likes it,” said junior Brayden Griffith.“Some years it’s a little colder, so that’s not too fun, but we all enjoy being there, getting a little bit of spotlight, showing off what we’ve been doing for the first semester.”

Being part of such a special event in Shallotte is a privilege. Everyone looks forward to seeing our dance team, band, JROTC, and other organizations march down the street, bringing smiles to children and inspiring them to want to be involved in our West community when they grow to become a Trojan.

“We usually only have about half of our team able to participate,”  said dance coach Casey Sellers. “It’s something they always look forward to.”

Alongside our Trojans, many local businesses, churches and groups make it a part of their own traditions to get up early and walk Main Street, often throwing out candy accompanied by bright smiles and wishes of “Merry Christmas.” Some of these groups include local dance studios, Boy Scouts, Shallotte Buccaneers, Shallotte Pirates, and many more.

“The Shallotte Christmas Parade is a studio tradition that all our dancers and families always look forward to,” said owner and teacher of Brunswick School of Dance Leigh-Anne Sorrels. “Our dancers come together to perform their classic parade dance while bonding over the preparation and experience of the whole event.” 

The Shallotte Christmas Parade is a time for the community to come together and celebrate the wonder of the Christmas season but to also serve as a reminder of the people who keep our town the wonderful space that it is. 

“I’m proud to see our students participate in the parade,” said McDowell. “I’ve been in the West for fifteen Christmases, and every year we’ve had a presence in the parade, so I’m extremely proud of that.”

$100
$500