The Student News Site of West Brunswick High School

The West Wind

The West Wind

The West Wind

Ahead of the Course

An overview of post-Early Graduation plans
Photo by Megan Hardy
Principal Scott Dalton awarding an early graduate with her high school diploma.

Graduating early is a privilege that each student is given a chance to earn. In order to be an early grad you must meet specific requirements. These students show that they are focused and dedicated to getting their high school education done ahead of schedule.

“As far as credits a student should earn up to eight credits per year including the additional four credits from a final fall semester,” said counselor Megan Hardy. “In order to do this you have to pass all classes for your first three years of high school. Along with that you also need to take four classes in the fall semester of your senior year passing those classes as well.”

Some students are eager to graduate, while others want to hold onto their high school experience as long as possible. The majority of students who have the option to graduate early and don’t are mainly because they not only miss graduation with all their friends and classmates, but other senior year traditions. The students who do make the big decision also have their reasons for doing so.

“The reason I decided to graduate early and work is because I can go straight into making money versus going to college for three to four years and finishing school with lots of debt,” said early graduate Oscar Mendoza. “It benefits me by getting extra years of experience and hopefully by the time I’m in my twenties I can be where I’m checking on the guys at the job site instead of working at them.”

Some students are often anxious to get out into the real world, find a decent job and get a head start on their career paths in the workforce. As Mendoza said one of the biggest concerns about going to college nowadays is having to pull out a student loan and finishing school owing money instead of making money. More and more students are beginning to learn that having a well providing job doesn’t always require college education and are starting their careers early. 

“I think the military is a good way to start out after high school because it will pay for college later,” said sophomore Nickalas Brown. “The military also provides a good retirement with other government benefits if you serve twenty years.”

There are also many brave students who plan on graduating early to enlist in the military. This path could be a good choice for students who aren’t sure what they want their career out of school will look like. Joining the military out of high school is also a reasonable consideration for students who are not ready to continue their education at the moment, but would possibly go back to school after their career in the military.

“I think early graduation is a good opportunity for the right student, but being able to celebrate senior year with your peers is a great thing too,” said Hardy. “You may have your mind dead set on a path for yourself although you have the choice to take classes your spring semester that you might like enough to carry them over to college.”

Donate to The West Wind
$100
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of West Brunswick High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.